Prue Leith visiting the Grasmere Gingerbread® Shop in late 2018
TV’S Great British Bake Off judge Prue Leith praised Grasmere Gingerbread® after it collected a prestigious food award.
“Amazing: firm and chewy when cold, crumbly and soft when warm,” she declared on a special visit to the 165-year-old business.
Prue was one of the judges for this year’s prestigious Delicious Magazine Produce Awards.
Grasmere Gingerbread® picked up the magazine’s ‘From the Earth Artisan’ category award – one of only eight national winners.
The business will now be featured in a special article in the best-selling food publication.
“Delicious is a fabulous magazine devoted to superb food so we are particularly thrilled to have been recognised by their expert panel of judges,” said Joanne Hunter, third generation owner, of Grasmere Gingerbread®.
“Our team work hard every day throughout the year producing Victorian cook Sarah Nelson’s unique culinary legacy for our customers, here in the UK and also in the rest of the world.
“It’s amazing that Grasmere Gingerbread continues to be celebrated 165 years on from its creation by a truly inspirational lady!”
“It’s never been more important to seek out and champion great producers,” said Karen Barnes, Editor of Delicious.
“It was harder than ever to choose our final winners for our third produce awards because the quality of entries was staggeringly high – and diverse.
“The team of judges and I couldn’t be more delighted with our starry cast of winners, all of whom are working so hard to grow or make some of the finest produce available in the UK today.”
The national judges were
- Karen Barnes, Delicious editor;
- Prue Leith – restaurateur, chef, founder of Leith’s School of Food & Wine, writer and judge of The Great British Bake Off;
- Lucas Hollweg, cook and food writer and author of Good Things to Eat;
- Andi Oliver, chef, musician, restaurateur, Great British Menu judge and guest presenter of Saturday Kitchen;
- Xanthe Clay, chef turned food writer, journalist and cookbook author;
- Susy Atkins, Delicious wine editor, drinks expert, author and presenter;
- Gizzi Erskine, chef, presenter, restaurateur and cookbook author.