• 6 free-range eggs, separated
• 110g (4 oz) golden castor sugar
• 500g (1 lb 2 oz) mascarpone cheese
• 3 tablespoons of Ginger Liqueur
• 250ml (9floz) of tepid espresso coffee
• ½ to ¾ bag of Grasmere Gingerbread® crumbs – if you want it very moist use less crumbs
• 4 tablespoons of cocoa powder
This is Joanne Hunter’s take on the traditional Italian dessert of Tiramisu with a real focus on ginger which of course goes great with coffee. This was a real hit in the office and with the photographer – who delved straight into it after the shot was taken!
Preparation time: 25 mins
Chilling time: 5 hours
Serves: Min of 6 (this is quite a rich dessert and this recipe would give you 10 – 12 smaller portions making it perfect for dinner parties)
1. Brew the coffee and let it cool.
2. Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until the mixture is pale, then incorporate the mascarpone and continue to beat.
3. Whisk the egg whites into stiff peaks and fold into the mascarpone, egg and sugar mix (above).
4. Add the Ginger Liqueur to the coffee then add to the gingerbread crumbs, until soaked in but if a drier mixture is required then add more crumbs.
5. Layer glass dishes with gingerbread mixture and then top with the creamy mixture, repeat again, and do as many layers as you like depending on size of dish.
6. Cover with cling film and leave to chill for at least 5 hours in the refrigerator.
7. Sprinkle with cocoa powder just before serving.
Click Here to buy Grasmere Gingerbread® Crumbs